- Arts Partners
- Coronado Public Library
Coronado Public Library
Coronado Public Library
About the Coronado Public Library:
Founded in 1890, today's Coronado Library utilizes cutting-edge technology in providing materials and services to patrons and is a thriving hub for community events ranging from free public concerts, lectures and drama to art exhibits spread through several gallery areas. Visit their events calendar to learn about their upcoming events which are free and open to the public. Click here to go directly to their events calendar.
The Coronado Public Library's Winn Room has long been the center of free cultural enrichment in Coronado. It is the one venue in the community that offers a wide range of free cultural programs. There is no charge for the local nonprofits providing programming and no charge to those attending.
The Library includes study space at tables and carrels, lounge seating, wireless Internet access, a large public meeting room, and smaller conference room, separate Children's Library and Teen area, an Exhibit Gallery, public-access computers, and collections in various subjects and formats. A used bookstore, the Second-Hand Prose, is operated by the Friends of the Library. And if you can't make it to the library, patrons can access over 2,000 streaming movies or checkout one of up to 250,000 eBooks available online through the library's extensive online e-resources collection.
The Coronado Library was founded in 1890 by the Coronado Library and Free Reading Room Association. It was supported for many years by gifts and fundraising. In 1895, the Hotel del Coronado provided a small, rent-free pavilion building for the "Coronado Beach Library", which was located by the trolley stop across the street from the hotel. John D. Spreckels, the owner of the Hotel del Coronado, was later asked by the Coronado Library Trustees to build a permanent library building. Mr. Spreckels agreed and had architect Harrison Albright design and build a classical revival library building in the West Plaza Park in 1909.
The library building was given by John D. Spreckels to the City of Coronado and the people of Coronado. The building still stands at 640 Orange Avenue. This original building serves as the Spreckels Reading Room within the 40,000 square feet remodeled and expanded library building.